Olympic Gold do not just come from
- tearjerker moments while watching live telecast
- being sniff-illy patriotic
- Likes in social media, discussions on WhatsApp groups
- News Bytes about the Athletes grit and determination
What will it take for India to win 50 Gold Medals at the Olympics?
- Gold medals are won when Players STOP playing for their country, society, family and start playing for their own glory —- Gold Medal is a state of mind.
- A proper channel for Olympic funds
Current audited expense reports show that a majority of the funds are utilised to pay salaries of committee members, Airfares, affiliation fees, Land use, Cars, infrastructure and construction of Olympic Bhavans with very little mention on Athletes remuneration, training, health or insurance.
This is because the Indian Olympic Association is Registered under the Societies Registration Act XXI of 1860 and is a non-governmental not-for-profit organisation, of unlimited duration, which exercises its jurisdiction over the whole territory of India.
The Membership of the Association is open for:
- National Sports Federations affiliated to International Sports Federations whose sport is included in the programme of the summer and winter Olympic Games.
- National Sports Federations affiliated to International Sports Federations whose sport is not included in the programme of the summer and winter Olympic Games but is included in the programme of all Asian and/or Commonwealth Games.
- Indian citizens who are member/s of the International Olympic Committee.
- Two (one male and one female) active athletes or retired athletes having taking part in the Olympic Games.
- State Olympic Associations.
- Union Territories’ Olympic Associations.
- Services Sports Control Board.
- The National Federation of the Indian game Kho Kho.
Rio results – India wins 2 medals, none Gold.
In contrast, The U.S. Olympic Committee, unlike its competitors around the world, does not receive funding from the federal government for its Olympic programs. Instead, Team USA athletes rely on the generosity of the American people to achieve their dreams.
These funds are used for:
- High Performance Programs and Services such as strength and conditioning, physiology, training programs, nutrition and sports psychology.
- Athlete Financial Aid to supplement the limited annual income of Olympic and Paralympic athletes and hopefuls, providing support to cover living, training and healthcare costs.
- Advancement of the Movement through community outreach and education services including the Team USA Ambassador program, the Team For Tomorrow program, Olympic Day events, and the SafeSport welfare training program to promote safe environments at all levels of sport.
Rio Results – United Sates wins 121 medals, 46 Gold
Britain has taken the second position in the Rio Olympics by winning 67 medals (27 gold)beating China, prompting UK Sport chief executive Liz Nicholls to declare that Britain now is a “sporting superpower”. This is a mindset shift from the 1996 Olympic event where Britain won just 1 Gold medal prompting the media to print a “Team of Shame” story.
This has become possible because UK Sports invests National Lottery money through two channels:
- Central funding for sporting National Governing Bodies (NGBs), enabling them to operate a World Class Programme (WCP) and ensuring athletes have access to outstanding support personnel and training environments to ensure they are among the best prepared in the world.
- Direct to athlete funding in the shape of an Athlete Performance Award (APA). This award, which is solely funded by National Lottery income, is paid directly to the athletes and contributes to their living and sporting costs.
Britain now is passionate and obsessed with Olympics. Winter Olympics is their next goal.
For change to happen, Indian Olympic Association should aim outside the government coffers for funding by opening the membership to donors and proving a income tax exemptions to these donations and funds can be utilised for:
- Employ professional talent Scouts for Identifying larger pool of fresh talent from across the country
- Implement military exercises to help explore athletes’ potential for leadership and teamwork
- Career Development Programs for Athletes that are not governed by UGC act.
- Equip Olympic Bhavans with sport performance and recovery technologies, equipment and provide high performance coaching
- Long term housing, Healthcare and work solutions for Athletes and their families.
- Engage, educate and Inspire Indian masses by creating Television shows that identifies Sporting talent similar to how talent is identified in dancing, singing.
In Conclusion, I state that becoming a donor is also a state of mind, anyone interested?